The Castle Inn, West Lulworth - pub details

[image 2] [image 3] [image 4] [image 5] [image 6] [image 7] [image 8] [image 9]

Address: Main Road, West Lulworth, Wareham, Dorset, BH20 5RN [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 3317) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Website: http://www.thecastleinn-lulworthcove.co.uk/

Nearest train station Wool (4.3 miles)

> Current user rating: 7.7/10 (rated by 38 users)

Lulworth Cove Inn, West Lulworth (0.5 miles), Lulworth Beach Hotel, West Lulworth (0.5 miles)

user reviews of The Castle Inn, West Lulworth

Mixed feelings about this pub.
On the plus side, it''s a lovely old bar inside. The beer and cider is cheap at roughly £4.20 per pint.

It has a cracking elevated grassy beer garden out the back with a nice view of the hills.

What lets it down is the rip off tourist prices for very average food.
9 quid for a jacket potato with cheese and beans is just not on.
I paid 13 quid for an ultra bland chicken curry, containing very little chicken.

My advice would be, drink plenty here, but eat elsewhere.
Pat_Bateman - 12 Sep 2017 16:04
I don''t normally post a review unless I like a pub, and i don''t usually even go back to a pub more than once if it doesn''t meet my needs, might be a selfish attitude but it''s my time and money.

I drove past this pub around 6-30 one morning whilst surveying the area around a possible new workplace, and was determined to give it a go, should I get the job, which I did. The area boasts a few pubs but nothing like this one. The fact that it claimed to be a ''cider'' pub appealed to me, and it has now proven (after several visits) to rightly claim that.

This is a ''tourist trap'' pub, but make no mistake it is worthy of being so. In my few visits I first thought there was an abundance of young staff members looking like they were doing nothing much., but it''s plain to see that once the pub gets busy they are needed and act accordingly.

It''s hard to spot the locals, due to the number of customers passing through, but my observations are that they support their pub, and I am hoping to stay a customer as long as I am in the area.

Oh, yeah, the food might seem a little overpriced, but you have to pay for the staff, the food is good, and the steak is above average.

Having dogs wandering in and around the pub doesn''t cause me a problem, as long as they never pinch my steak!

Keep up the good work, you have a pub to be proud of!

Cider_Al

the guy who drinks all your ''old rosie'' lol!
Cider_AL - 29 Aug 2017 19:48
I am told that the Castle has now been taken into the Palmers Brewery stable. People will have their own opinions on Palmers Ales and they generally have good reviews.

Palmers have a very poor record of having guest beers in their establishments and they have no history of keeping real ciders at all and so this 2014 CAMRA cider pub of the year may soon have no real ciders. It remains to be seen what happens.
Brownspot - 12 Sep 2016 11:17
Still maintaining a very high standard and now, thankfully, opens all day. A cider drinker's heaven. Only let down by the sometimes unadventurous choice of ales - how about some porters or decent strong IPAs rather than five bitters all about 4% ABV
The Kiwi couple behind the bar were very welcoming
One word of caution - probably best avoided if you don't like dogs.
baxterfish - 24 Apr 2016 13:35
In all of my walks along the Dorset Coast (and there have been many) I have never visited this place. I wish I had years ago. This is a Paradise for cider drinkers (not the Mangers on ice or Woodpecker sort of thing, but the REAL farmhouse article, with 40 available). As others have said, it has lots of character, has good food, and the beers are well-kept. However, the ciders have to reign supreme here. It's out of the way, about a mile from the sea and the Coast Path, but it IS worth the "extra mile". Oh, and the lunch-time food is pretty good as well. (Curiously, I was served by an Aussie barman, with an accent so strong you could tie down a kangaroo with it.) 8/10
HenPen - 10 Jul 2015 17:46