The Radcliffe Arms, Hitchin - pub details

Address: 31 Walsworth Road, Hitchin, Hertfordshire, SG4 9ST [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 19357) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Website: http://www.radcliffearms.com

Nearest train stations Hitchin (0.3 miles), Letchworth (2.8 miles), Stevenage (4.7 miles)

> Current user rating: 5.1/10 (rated by 36 users)

Albert Inn, Hitchin (0.0 miles), Bar 85, Hitchin (0.1 miles), Molly Malone's, Hitchin (0.2 miles), Nightingale, Hitchin (0.2 miles), Venue, Hitchin (0.3 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of the Radcliffe Arms, Hitchin

I hear it's closing down for resi development which I suppose is the norm these days...
Lindacfs44 - 30 Nov 2016 09:06
There is an advertising sign for Illy coffee on this place, which about sums it up - not a pub in the slightest.
Snarling_Mallard - 5 Apr 2015 20:02
2nd pub visited on Saturday evening on my way from town back to the station.

As this one also features in the 2014 Good Beer Guide I decided to stop in..having already been warned that’s it more of a restaurant than a pub.

Nice place, lacking slightly in atmosphere as the only people inside the pub were a group of 5 (3 men, 2 women) who were obviously locals and sat at the bar…there were others in the pub but they were sat outside smoking.

Again another pub where I didn’t sample the ale…there was only 1 beer on which surprised me.

I was too early for food so cannot comment on portion size, smell or taste.

I’m sure there’s better pubs than this one in Hitchin apart from the Half Moon that sell & keep good quality real ale…though I may be wrong as I’m not from Hitchin.
lezford - 15 Jan 2014 16:24
I posted a review here previously two years ago, but have been back a few times since. The quality of food and beer (usually from the Buntingford brewery) at the Radcliffe Arms has been consistently very high and the interior design makes it a pleasant place to eat. It is possible to go to the Radcliffe Arms to drink (and it holds occasional beer festivals), although the inside is mostly a dining area with a bar alongside. The food is what this place is really about. The atmosphere is good for a meal or early evening drink outside on a warm day, but it's not the sort of pub I would include on a pub crawl in winter.
hitchinsampler - 24 Jul 2011 00:28
My rating is a bit harsh but this is not really a pub. It might have been once but now it is more a restaurant who does beer at one end. Not eaten here so can't comment on the grub. Beer was OK but upper end of price band.
twangothan - 26 May 2011 19:52