skip nav

BITE user comments - JonNgog

Comments by JonNgog

The Borough, Lancaster

What an odd place, it feels more like being inside a stately home than a pub. But the beer is excellent and I do like a little quirkiness. I was the only one in the bar area, though loads seemed to be entering and exiting the restaurant. Then again it was 11am.

15 Mar 2018 12:03

The Baltic Fleet, Liverpool

In any other city, the Fleet would stand out as an outstanding pub. in Liverpool, I'm afraid it doesn't. too far off the beaten track, too many other pubs in the centre on crawl circuits with more atmosphere and equally good ale.

11 Mar 2018 21:07

The Albion, Arnside

Expensive and aloof service when I visited. Nice views though.

5 Mar 2018 17:01

Ye Olde Fighting Cocks, Arnside

Nice owners, nice clientele (entirely day trippers like me from what I could gather), decent Thwaites beer. Has the feel of a hotel bar rather than a pub though.

5 Mar 2018 17:00

The Royal Hotel, Heysham

Soul destroying refurb from Thwaites has made this a very uncomfortable place to drink. Virtually the entire seating space of the pub was taken by diners. Resorted to the beer garden with my pint of something drinkable but dull. Now no good pubs at all in Heysham.

28 Feb 2018 10:02

Strawberry Gardens, Heysham

now a Greene King chain pub, so you know exactly what you'll get. Microwave meals dominating in one big soulless room.

28 Feb 2018 09:59

Sir Richard Owen, Lancaster

£1.70 for a pint of real ale! In Lancaster! I hate Wetherspoons in general, but it's hard to resist at those prices.

27 Jan 2018 09:59

The Boot and Shoe Hotel, Scotforth

Used to be a charming old pub, though I accept it needed a refurb. Sadly, Thwaites have done that thing where they strip the pub of any charm at all. Feels like a chain pub too, slick and sterile and everything branded. On a positive note, had a reasonable pint of some Thwaites pale ale at £3.

27 Jan 2018 09:51

The Railway, Liverpool

The beer choice was very mainstream and adventurous, but I do really like the place with its strange old-fashioned layout and distinct areas. Doesn't feel quite as cosy as other pubs in the area though.

12 Jan 2018 14:12

Vernon Arms, Liverpool

Yet another pub in this area that feels like a step back in time, a really homely place and with a mixed clientele on my visit. Incredibly cheap food too. Ale quality variable though.

12 Jan 2018 14:09

Ye Hole in Ye Wall, Liverpool

Very, very cosy and atmospheric place, a step back in time. Beer choice not bad at all either. An underrated pub.

12 Jan 2018 14:07

Thomas Rigby's, Liverpool

Good place to eat if you're doing a crawl in this area. But I'm yet to have a decent pint! Courtyard is the Mecca of Liverpool in summer.

12 Jan 2018 14:06

Robin Hood, Orrell

Fairly cosy, if a little characterless,very nice food and ale. Probably as good a suburban pub in this area as you can get.

12 Jan 2018 12:43

Cricketers Arms, St Helens

Best ale selection in St Helens, but an absolute nightmare to get served if it has a few customers. So I won't return too often.

12 Jan 2018 12:41

Sefton, St Helens

One of the Stonegate chain, which appears to be a clone of Wetherspoons. Hence you get decent cheap ale, but no atmosphere or charm whatsoever.

12 Jan 2018 12:39

The Unicorn, Billinge

Now a very good Indian restaurant after a very troubled period as Winston's Pizza at the Unicorn. Definitely not a pub I'm afraid.

12 Jan 2018 12:36

Hare and Hounds, Billinge

A rural wet-led community pub, feels like your gran's living room inside. Cosy but very unfashionable. Always good beer and conversation though.

12 Jan 2018 12:34

Colliers Arms, Kings Moss

More well known for its food (which *is* excellent) than anything else, and nothing particularly special inside or out. A rather more down to earth place than the average rural foodie pub, so I do retain a soft spot for it.

12 Jan 2018 12:33

The Holts Arms, Wigan

Now very much a trendy gastro spot, and probably the only time I have been in a pub with more people drinking gin than beer! The food does look good, and it's rather cosy inside, but not my favourite 'pub' in the area.

12 Jan 2018 12:31

The Red Cat, St Helens

Expensive, typical rural gastropub, but it does retain a nice cosy bar area (would be very cramped if it gets busy though). Beer garden is done nicely but too close to the road to be particularly peaceful. Still, pleasant enough pub.

12 Jan 2018 12:27

The Masons Arms, Wigan

Only pub really worth visiting in the area, a family run pub off the beaten track, doesn't attract any idiots and always an interesting selection of ales.

12 Jan 2018 12:25

The Billinge Arms, Billinge

An absolute dive, a modern but scruffy bar with a strange atmosphere and seemingly run by teenagers. Apparently having a refit soon.

12 Jan 2018 12:23

Foresters Arms, Billinge

Rough and ready locals pub, not much to recommend about it really. Handpumps removed about a year ago.

12 Jan 2018 12:21

Squires Bar, Billinge

Wasn't a bad pub at all, but far too quiet and with two other pubs nearby its closure wasn't a surprise. Now converted to a nursery

12 Jan 2018 12:19

The Eagle and Child, Billinge

Cask choices never especially exciting (always Lancaster Red/Amber in my experience), but very very good value for the area at £2 a pint. The pub is quite atmospheric, friendly and seems to be losing its dodgy reputation. Miles better than the Stork across the road.

12 Jan 2018 12:18

The Stork Inn, Billinge

Pretty bad, keg only (despite 2 handpumps) scruffy and pretty empty. There really is a huge gap in the market for decent pubs in Billinge.

12 Jan 2018 12:16