The Red Lion, Bromley - pub details

Red Lion

Address: 10 North Road, Bromley, Kent, BR1 3LG [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 5256) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Nearest train stations Sundridge Park (0.2 miles), Bromley North (0.3 miles), Bromley South (0.6 miles)

> Current user rating: 7.4/10 (rated by 86 users)

White Horse, Bromley (0.1 miles), Anglesey Arms, Bromley (0.1 miles), Freelands Tavern, Bromley (0.1 miles), Crown and Anchor, Bromley (0.1 miles), Railway Hotel, Bromley (0.3 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of the Red Lion, Bromley

This was supposed to be the 4th pub of 5 but it ended up being 4 of 4 as the Freeland’s Tavern was closed when we left the Red Lion.

Busy at 10.30pm at this GBG 2015 listed pub. A re tick for as I first came here 15 months ago to tick it, on that visit I liked the pub but it felt a little bit clicky and to be honest I still have the same opinion. Don’t get me wrong I like the Red Lion but it’s not someone I come to regularly so I’m always here just for a quick pint.

Now to the beer there were 5 hand pumps with a good choice of ales, I had St Austell Liquid Sunshine @ 3.9% and it was throughally good.

Again only a quick stop as we tried to get last orders in the Freeland’s.
lezford - 17 Aug 2015 12:09
Nice little back street free house just a few minutes walk from Bromley North station.

Pretty busy on the Tuesday night I visited. Traditional interior with a few pub mirrors on the walls and a nice array of pump clips on display around & above the bar.

5 pumps that were serving 4 ales. My pint of St Andrews from an unknown brewery was very good and at £3.50 it was reasonable.

Music on at a soft enough level to allow for chatter and the football was on the television but on mute.

lezford - 27 Nov 2013 11:44
The beer here is kept excellently and the pub manages to maintain a great background chatter whilst never being loud. When on a crawl of the nearby pubs this is where I appreciated the pint and soaked up the atmosphere the most.
ChrisBass - 9 Nov 2012 18:59
visited this pub on saturday lunch time and was given a warm welcome and although was quiet semed to be a very friendly local pub keep up the good work
oystergirl - 10 Jun 2012 14:03
Could've sworn I'd remembered to drop a review of this one shortly after I last paid it a visit (some 6 months ago now), but the register below suggests I didn't.

Anyway, it's intriguing to see the Red Lion of all pubs on the present daily BITE Top 10. Not because I considered it to be lacking - I recall a very healthy selection of cask beers, kept in decent condition, friendly and efficient service from the landlord and staff, a jolly hubbub of conservation from a lively mix of punters, and a pleasant traditional pub interior to match its charming exterior (with its unusual, if a little twee, picket fence). Rather, it's because there are surely so many pubs of a similar calibre that deliver well and consistently and receive positive comment and scores from BITE users, and I suppose I just wondered what is making this one stand out that little bit more from its many peers. Granted, it is good, but not by my reckoning at least 'excellent' in the way that some of the other current Top 10 blatantly are.

Perhaps the answer to that is simple and lies in the location: sadly Bromley is not overburdened with excellent ale houses, and so maybe when one does pull out a few more stops and nudges ahead of the lackluste competition, it sets itself apart from its counterparts so starkly that it means locals rate it all the higher in relative terms. Unfortunately, the Red Lion probably is by some distance the best pub in the vicinity, at least by the measure of the more discerning visitor. So on that basis, I hope its additional exposure on this site's daily rankings will help it catch on even more. If in Bromley, you might as well just cut the crap and come straight here!

TWG - 11 May 2012 11:57