Chapel an Gansblydhen, Bodmin - pub details

Address: Fore Street, Bodmin, Cornwall, PL31 2HR [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 37058) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Nearest train station Bodmin Parkway (3.4 miles)

Chain: Wetherspoons

> Current user rating: 6.9/10 (rated by 11 users)

Barley Sheaf, Bodmin (0.1 miles), Cornish Arms, Bodmin (0.2 miles), Hole in the Wall, Bodmin (0.2 miles), Weavers, Bodmin (0.2 miles), Jaks, Bodmin (0.2 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of Chapel an Gansblydhen, Bodmin

The last time I was in Bodmin, just over 7 years ago, I'm not convinced this Wetherspoons was open. As its name suggests, it's located in a former chapel and looks like a large Wetherspoons from the outside. But it's actually quite compact and unlike most 'spoons, I felt is did have more of an atmosphere. The ale selection was Greene King Abbot, Ruddles Best, Sharps Doom Bar, Caledonian Edinburgh Castle, Saltaire Cascade & Tintagel Gwaf Tan (Winter Fire). I was impressed with the range of 4 ciders too - Thistly Cross Whisky Cask, Gwynt y Ddraig Black Dragon, Orchard Pig The Hogfather & Polgoon Mounts Bay. The Mounts Bay was very palatable indeed. It's probably now between this pub and the Hole In The Wall for Bodmin's best pub. The town itself appears to have gone downhill and part of it appears to be one giant construction site, which provides chaos on the roads.
blue_scrumpy - 30 Jan 2017 20:59
An interesting place converted from an old chapel or something like that.
A bit like the George's meeting house spoons in Exeter, but also like that pub it did struggle a bit with an atmospere.

Upstairs is a decent place to sit and the food we had was fine and drinks very cheap as always.

I didn't see any other pubs in Bodmin on my visit and the town looks a little drab, good for Wetherspoons for investing in this town.

7/10
montie49 - 2 Dec 2014 17:50
What an amazing pub my wife and I went in for some food as we were in the area and we were amazed at how stunning the pub was they offer table service on a Sunday lunch time which is completely different to your average wetherspoon’s. Not only was the service exceptional but the food was great and the beer was outstanding! To top it off you have the Wetherspoon’s great prices we just wish we lived a bit closer!

morganlee - 16 Jan 2012 19:26
Downstairs well furnished but nothing special...but go upstairs and it is spectacular. Very good value beer, and a new Wednesday beer club. Shame it is so far from South London.
doorstep - 13 Sep 2011 17:21
Five real ales from as little as £1.50 a pint, fantastic architecture, amazing value food... What's not to love about The Chapel?
rentaquote - 30 May 2011 00:02