The Three Hammers, Mill Hill - pub details

Address: Hammers Lane, London, NW7 4EA [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 3565) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Nearest train stations Mill Hill Broadway (0.9 miles), Hendon (3 miles), Elstree & Borehamwood (3.2 miles)

> Current user rating: 4.5/10 (rated by 27 users)

Rising Sun, Mill Hill (0.5 miles), Adam and Eve, Mill Hill (0.7 miles), Bridge, Mill Hill (0.8 miles), Railway Tavern, Mill Hill (1.1 miles), Harvester, Edgware (1.2 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of the Three Hammers, Mill Hill

My wife and I arrived at this establishment just before 8.00pm. Our first impression was of a pub in last death throes with most of the customers looking like corpses slumped in their worn out armchairs. Still, having enjoyed a good brisk walk we thought we deserved a drink. The bar had about eight customers waiting to be served by two young guys. They were slow. Having made eye contact with the bartender at the pumps where I was waiting I made the assumption that I would be served next. At this point, two men walked in and the barman walked the entire length of the bar to serve them. I thought this was extremely rude as he served their drinks and chatted to them. The other barman finally seeing me served me with a pint and a tea for my wife. The tea arrived quickly and he was very polite. Before we sat down, we had a wander through the pub to see the best place to sit and saw one of the alcoves closed with a red rope barrier due to a leak from the toilets above. The fluid which looked like a bad sample at a urologist was foul smelling, perhaps “eggy” (my wife’s words) and worst of all being caught in two plastic jugs which I assume would normally be used for Pimms or jugs of beer on a scorching day. I could not believe this as it flies in the face of all health and safety regulations. Anyway, moving to the other side of the pub we sat and enjoyed our drinks. A while later I went up to the bar and ordered a pint and a glass of prosecco I was told that they only sold prosecco by the bottle. This was weird as I have never been to a pub that does not sell it by the glass and trust I have been to many. I told the barman to hold the order and I would take instructions from my boss. She decided that she did not want anything and we would go. The barman appeared and said he had poured the pint and… I told him that we did not want anything and he disappeared. Seconds later, the other barman, probably just old enough to serve alcohol appeared and started to go on about the pint that had been poured. Now having asked the other barman to hold on and not gone back for a substitute it was clear he had jumped the gun and poured my pint despite me not going back to the bar. After a brief exchange during which I reminded him how rude he was serving his mates and that the fact that due to there being no drink my wife wanted we were asked to leave,The pub is a social experience, people drink, talk socialise. If what you want is not available then you have the choice to move on. My first pint was a previously poured pint which I saw put on the side but was OK with. To be dealt with by an adolescent with no people skills and really not suited for the hospitality sector is laughable. I have since read reviews here and the glib replies from the pub, my reason for this review is for the benefit of others so they do not waste their time eating or drinking here.I will never set foot in this deplorable establishment again.
Bilboman - 13 Aug 2017 21:14
Service has improved unfortunately this seems to be at the expense of quality as even the lager was awful.
Snarling_Mallard - 26 May 2017 12:09
Unusually these days, the recent refurb has actually improved the place. Now well decorated and still smelling of paint when I was there. Drinks are relatively cheap (at least for Mill Hill) and bar staff are pleasant and attentive. Does get very busy at peak times, but definitely worth a visit.
GaryB007 - 28 Dec 2014 23:08
its quite pleasant and its definitely cheap...got served ok but I was the only punter at the pbar in the middle of a sunny afternoon
mont62y - 8 Aug 2014 15:23
I have been drinking in this pub on and off for several years but have noted the gradual decline of this once great landmark pub. It's not the decor, and it's not the punters. It's partially the staff who could not be slower in serving, and it's partially the way the pub appears to be almost deliberately run into the ground by Ember Inns management. Ten years ago this was a thriving pub with busy Wednesday nights with the Jazz Club and then for whatever reason the Jazz Club left. There have been times when no hand pump beer has been on sale and sometimes even no crisps!

I hear rumours that this pub will close; the land is apparently owned by Mill Hill School. If they do close the pub down then the vested interests in Mill Hill will once again screw us locals. We should be used to that by now...
Mike_NW7 - 12 May 2014 22:39