The Admiral Benbow, Penzance - pub details

Admiral Benbow

Address: 46, Chapel St, Penzance, Cornwall, TR18 4AF [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 25340) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Nearest train station Penzance (0.4 miles)

> Current user rating: 7.9/10 (rated by 41 users)

Turks Head, Penzance (0.0 miles), Zero Lounge, Penzance (0.1 miles), Regent, Penzance (0.1 miles), Union Hotel, Penzance (0.1 miles), Globe, Penzance (0.1 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of the Admiral Benbow, Penzance

Strange place that certainly wins the award for most quirky pub in Penzance. It has many different seating areas and many many naval artefacts around the walls and ceilings. But the ale selection is disappointing. The eponymous Sharp's Doom Bar & St Austell Tribute were accompanied by Treen's Essential. I went for the Treen's ale. But the seating I selected was fairly uncomfortable and it was next to a group of rugby fans who'd clearly consumed a few too many. Worthy of a visit to admire the interior. But don't expect anything special ale-wise.
blue_scrumpy - 3 Sep 2018 19:33
Has been up for sale for some time and finally sold in the past couple of weeks for considerably less than the original asking price. The main reason for this being that the building needs a huge amount of investment.....re-wire, new commercial kitchen, installing heating....it currently has none.... just for starters .

Presumably someone with very deep pockets has bought it, (its also grade2 listed), and hopefully will spend the money to bring it back to its former glory.

ridleyman - 9 Feb 2018 14:10
I walked to this pub from the station via the promenade and the nearby, delightful, Morrab gardens. It has one of the most bizarre and intensely decorated interiors I have ever seen in a pub. You almost need a guided tour to make the most of it , which I undoubtedly didn't with my one pint visit. But, a fabulous, intriguing venue and a national and regional treasure. I was delighted to find the wonderfully bitter, Dartmoor Best on sale. Which I was able to relax and enjoy as, in spite of all its historic features this is also a proper pub, where I felt instantly at home.
tarkatherotter - 18 Sep 2016 10:07
This was the main place we headed for during our holiday. Much has been said already about the maritime interior and the collection of seafaring memorabilia so instead I shall stick to the quality of the beer and also the food. Eating out here was a really good experience, okay, so you had to wait a little while for the food to arrive but when it is as good as this was you really don't mind. Average main costs about £12. Rick Stein eat your heart out. I have to admit I only drank one beer, St Austell Proper Job. This is a fine drink, (best in the country IMHO), and was beautifully kept and served. The place does get rather busy particularly in the holiday season so if you intend eating I suggest booking a table.
doctorpint - 27 Aug 2016 15:56
Yes well what can be said for this unusual gem of a place!
The interior is like narrowboat crossed with the high seas, every inch of spare space has some sort of brightly coloured sea related adournement stuck on or into it, beer tasted great and the music - one of the last albums from Donna Summer played, just happened to be a favorite so ten/ten from me, my little mermaid.
goodhead - 11 Aug 2015 20:55