The Black Horse Inn, Lewes - pub details

Address: 55 Western Rd, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7 1RS [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 23611) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Nearest train stations Lewes (0.6 miles), Cooksbridge (2.2 miles), Glynde (3.5 miles)

> Current user rating: 5.6/10 (rated by 28 users)

Meridian, Lewes (0.0 miles), Pelham Arms, Lewes (0.2 miles), Swan, Lewes (0.4 miles), Brewers Arms, Lewes (0.4 miles), Tally Ho, Lewes (0.4 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of the Black Horse Inn, Lewes

A trek up a hill and back towards the High Street brings us to our 3rd pub and by far the busiest we have visited.

7 ales on the hand pumps plus a real cider. I didn’t realise that this was a Greene King pub on my visit as most of the ales on were non GK ales, I had a very good pint of Gun Brewery Double Five, a well poured pint with a strong abv of 5.5%.

Lovely pub with wooden flooring in the front main bar area and carpeted through to the rear dining area. The walls are adorned with pictures of the local area, as well as having plenty of beer pump clips.

To the rear is a garden and smoking area.

Food served but no-one eating during my visit, I wonder how many people take on the paella for 4 at a cost of £50.00!

2 televisions in the front bar, one showing the cricket and the other one not on.

Not the best pub in Lewes in my option but still a very good one and worth the walk up the higher end of the High St.
lezford - 12 Jun 2016 14:20
Our first pub of the day was the Black Horse, one of our party only revived from the uphill climb after a lively pint of Plateau.If you like old style pubs with lots of wood than this is for you.The B.H. just oozes with pub games including Toad in the hole which was present in every pub we visited. Seven handpumps , three were Greene King beers and the other four were Locales.8/10
slerpy - 2 Dec 2015 18:49
A pint of Black Horse - as named after the pub.

Nice looking pub, but I cant be doing with kids running around at 10pm.

Supped up and moved on.
Mappiman - 13 Apr 2015 18:35
We were recommended to visit this pub by a local drinker but as I knew it before as a Greene King pub most of my party were a bit aprehensive. However, we made the walk from The Brewers Arms and it was most defintely worth it - what a change! It is still a GK house but is one of their "Local Heroes" bars which offers local brewers beers as well as a couple of GK products. An impressive array of pumps offered Turners/Long Man/Dark Star and Goldmark as well as 2 special GK beers which I reckon came from their new mini-brewery. The pub has had a facelift and is really a great addition to the Lewes drinking scene and it was a nice change to get some others beers apart from Harveys (which as we have said before is excellent beer anyway). There was a TV showing football and they have a local "toss-a-coin-into-a-hole-in-a-seat" game (which probably has a proper name) and had we not been heading off to footie we would most likely have had another beer here - but a return visit next season is definitely on the cards. Well worth the walk up from the town centre and a ppub we would readily recommend.
mcroyal - 9 Mar 2014 10:11
A great surprise. Just chanced into this pub without knowing much about it to find loads of good ales including some great Dark Star choices and by luck a new chef and menu. Me, my wife and son tried three starters first which were really lovely. I had the crispy mushroom dumplings. That is all we were going to eat before heading further into town but as it was so good we stayed a while and then had mains including venison meatballs, perfect gnocchi and the like. Then we even squeezed in some treacle pudding and plumb creme brulee with home-made Florentine. The staff were very pleasant as well, making us most welcome.

We are definitely going back as it was the best pub experience we've had for a long time and we were told they are about to light up there Two open fires.

Highly recommended - I'll see you by the fire for whisky.

pickledegg1982 - 14 Oct 2013 14:12