The Augustus John, University of Liverpool - pub details

Augustus John
[image 2] [image 3] [image 4]

Address: Peach Street, University of Liverpool Campus, Liverpool, Merseyside, L69 3BX [map] [gmap]

Nearest train stations Lime Street Liverpool (0.1 miles), Liverpool Central (0.2 miles), Moorfields (0.6 miles)

> Current user rating: 6.6/10 (rated by 16 users)

North Western, Liverpool (0.1 miles), Smokey Mos, Liverpool (0.1 miles), Punch and Judy, Liverpool (0.1 miles), Vines, Liverpool (0.1 miles), McHales, Liverpool (0.1 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of the Augustus John, University of Liverpool

Managed to visit the AJ again last night, as I was in the city on a weekday. Usually I am there at weekends when the pub is still closed. This was a late Friday night visit and its popularity made me wonder why it no longer opens on a Saturday at the very least. All tables were taken and people had spilled outside onto the tables there. I agree with the previous reviewer that there is little atmosphere there. It doesn't really feel like a pub. But the ales and the ciders in particular are still decent. Last night it was Great Orme Woolly Jumper, Peerless Knee-Buckler IPA, Neptune Big Sur & Mobberley Brewhouse Elysium. Ciders were Cotswold Cider Company No Brainer, Gwynt y Ddraig Happy Daze, Lyme Bay Eventide, Purbeck Cider Company Muddy Scamp, Orchard Pig Navel Gazer, Broadoak Perry, Abrahalls Lily The Pink & Weston's Family Reserve. Still worth a trip up the hill, in my opinion. But then again I'm biased due to the cider selection.
blue_scrumpy - 13 May 2017 16:35
The bar looks a bit grim looking from the outside and the inside isn't much better (well the part I sat at), felt a bit like a canteen really. It's a long room with a relatively small bar in a corner. On the bar the ales were- Nethergate Priory Mild, Glaswyn Purple Moose, Westwood Cheshire Cat, Partners American Craft Ale and Cock bird Cockeyed (a cider). I went for the Cheshire Cat which was pretty decent and well kept and cost 2.60 so decent value too. On the walls they have beer clips of what I assume are beers they have stocked in the past, the other thing I noticed was a dart board in the corner. It was reasonably busy when I came in, with Students and even a few older folk. Didn't really feel like there much of an atmosphere to the place, felt like the kind of atmosphere you get at spoons with the general noise of people chatting. Not a bad place but certainly not worth the trek out from the city centre. The beer is well priced and well kept but there's places in the centre which are well priced and even cheaper (e.g. Ranelaghs Tavern- not on this site and I have tried to add it). If you're a student or a local then it's a pretty solid place for a few beers, just not worth the walk out in my opinion.
Wezzielad - 15 Feb 2017 13:59
Student bar on the University campus, commonly known as the “AJ”. My local CAMRA friends seem to rate it, but I’m not sure why – maybe it’s the low prices ! Anyway, it’s exactly like you expect a student bar to be – with the addition of real ale. There are 3 or 4 interesting beers on handpump, but I’m afraid the quality is somewhat variable. On my recent visit, my friend had a pint that was very nice (Daleside Leg Over) , but it ran out before I got mine, and the one I then chose (New Plassey Midnight Mild) was absolutely foul !!
Martinsh - 21 Feb 2016 23:22
Tried another visit here yesterday. There's now sign on the window with opening hours and it no longer opens at weekends. Very disappointing. This pub is too far out of the way to make a special journey to anymore. I doubt I'll be back for a few years with the new opening times. Very disappointing change.
blue_scrumpy - 18 Oct 2015 16:08
Return visit on Saturday and it was fairly lively with the University terms about to start. The cider range has improved too, with a few more different options this time. Ales were Timothy Taylor Boltmaker, Wickwar Cotswold Way, Hales Black Heart & Beartown Ellava Bear. Ciders and perries were Lilleys Crazy Goat & Bee Sting Perry, Thistly Cross Whisky Cask, Twisted Cider Wild Orchard, Hairy Ferret Blackcurrant, Joe's Cider Sweet Traditional Still Dorset Cider, Orchard Pig Explorer & Philosopher & Gwynt y Ddraig Farmhouse Pyder. 3 of these were new for me. So contrary to my previous review, I do need to come here more often. Why has nobody else reviewed this pub for over 5 years?
blue_scrumpy - 30 Sep 2014 18:57