The Peasant, Clerkenwell - pub details

Peasant

Address: 240 St John Street, London, EC1V 4PH [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 15693) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Nearest tube stations Farringdon (0.4 miles), Angel (0.5 miles), Barbican (0.5 miles)

Nearest train stations Farringdon (0.4 miles), London Barbican (0.5 miles), Old Street (0.7 miles)

> Current user rating: 7.0/10 (rated by 41 users)

Well, Clerkenwell (0.1 miles), Darbucka World Music Bar, Clerkenwell (0.1 miles), Shakespeare's Wine Bar and Restaurant, Clerkenwell (0.1 miles), Sekforde Arms, Clerkenwell (0.1 miles), Old Ivy House, Clerkenwell (0.2 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of the Peasant, Clerkenwell

I can't really fault this pub. It has a nice character about it and the current staff are friendly enough. Good range of beer and excellent food with good size portions. Admittedly it was not full last Saturday evening - what pub is round here? - but that's probably another reason why we had a good time.

Open fire which is always nice to see, and when I left my phone on another seat it was returned to me by another punter via the bar staff - always a nice touch.

Definitely one to visit if around there of a weekend.

p.s. actually one gripe - nowhere could I see why it's called the Peasant... I also assumed it's to do with the Revolt but it would be a nice touch to have a plaque or something up in the pub explaining the name.
Tourmalet - 27 Jan 2016 17:02
I don't like Gastro pubs.I don't like it when they take an old school london boozer and "do it up" beyond all recognition.
However.They have got this right.Whilst it now has a good wine list and serves food(which looked excellent,it has to be said) it still feels like a pub.The Guinness was superb and the my mate assured me the brewers gold was good as well.As for the mosaic and the flooring,.These are not details put in when the pub was refurbed,but leftovers from its old name "the George and Dragon".It would have been criminal to change them.The "new" name a nod at Watt Tyler and his Peasant Army who camped in the area before going on to make a mischief many centuries ago, i presume.
A great pub,that i will always vist when drinking in the area.
tottenhamsean - 10 Sep 2012 18:10
Super little gastro pub with pop culture posters on the walls and an attractive Belgian style mosaic to give it a touch of class. Had the Pacific Pale Ale by Meantime with a glorious thick steak, fries and tenderstem broccoli. Finished the decadant lunch with a big slice of Tiramisu rather incongruously accompanied by a pear shaped blob of pistachio. Still to find a tiramisu that matches the legendary ones from Ciao Bella in Lambs Conduit Street in the early noughties. This one didn't quite have the alcoholic kick for me but presentation excellent. Staff very nice too.
cookster101 - 20 Jul 2012 14:03
My favourite London pub. I love everything about this pub, from the decor, great staff, awesome food, and of course the ever changing line up of ale, always anchored by the excellent Brewers Gold. Last time I was in I think it was Skinners Cornish Knocker on which was excellent. The Sunday roast was incredible.
tomtrumps - 13 Jul 2012 13:35
8 months on, I made a return visit to the Peasant and this time I found it open for custom. As the previous reviewer states, the tiled floor is quite impressive. In fact, it's a very nice drinking environment. Although I could imagine it feeling a little cold in the winter. Service was fine. A large party had formed around the pumpclips, making beer choice difficult. However, beers on were Trumans Runner, Sambrooks Pumphouse Pale Ale & Crouch Vale Brewers Gold. Cider was Orchard Pig. Rating increased to 6/10.
blue_scrumpy - 1 Jul 2012 11:47