The Rose and Crown, Walthamstow - pub details

Address: 55, Hoe St, Walthamstow, London, E17 4SA [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 14961) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Nearest tube station Walthamstow Central (0.3 miles)

Nearest train stations Walthamstow Central (0.3 miles), Walthamstow Queens Road (0.5 miles), St James Street (0.7 miles)

> Current user rating: 6.4/10 (rated by 57 users)

Victoria, Walthamstow (0.1 miles), Walthamstow Trades Hall Club, Walthamstow (0.1 miles), Goose, Walthamstow (0.2 miles), Bell, Walthamstow (0.3 miles), Chequers, Walthamstow (0.3 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of the Rose and Crown, Walthamstow

Almost 6 years after my only previous visit to the Olde Rose & Crown, I returned yesterday evening, after a visit to the nearby Mirth, Marvel & Maud, which I will request to be added to the site. As is often the case, the Olde Rose & Crown wasn't quite as good as I remembered. The 6 ales were Daleside Monkey Wrench, Otter Ale, Moles Rucking Mole, Purity Ubu, Wantsum Dynamo & Shiny 4Wood. The solitary cider was Seacider Rhubarb. Although they do also have Addlestones on a handpump. There was a mobile truck outside the front door selling food, possibly crepes. Good pub and I'm sure I will be back. I'll keep my score as 8/10 for now.
blue_scrumpy - 14 May 2018 19:13
Excellent boozer. Loads of beer, plenty of space with ample tables and chairs even on a Friday night. Traditional interior but with a fresh, lively atmosphere and great music. I notice numerous CAMRA accolades and community events are held here so this pub is truly a local hub. I would have no problem spending the rest of my life locked in this pub.
Richard_ReadingFC - 13 Sep 2016 13:37
A cavernous joint that has hallmarks of a good community pub and mixes some of the old and new Walthamstow. A beer festival was on for our visit and was surprisingly thinly attended - really enjoyed my pint of the mighty Kelham from Sheffield.
BoehmBawerk - 31 Jan 2016 19:35
Decent beer - I had a good Acorn Brewery Porter - and new beers coming on tap during the course of a fairly quiet Wednesday evening.

The reason for the comparative low rating is that there were two guys - occupying the space immediately in front of the handpumps and who were determined not to move in spite of the obvious efforts of my friend and me to see what was available. The pub was comparatively empty and it's a long bar so they didn't need to stand there. Not sure if they were locals but it was offputting enough to make me buy my beer in the Nag's Head or King William IV next time I'm in Walthamstow.
wgandy - 19 Oct 2013 21:40
My first visit to this pub was at 10pm on a Wednesday evening.

I walked in and was immediately greeted by the sound of a live band playing I was both surprised and pleased, I didn't catch the bands name but they were good, playing a mix of old and new songs. Whether it was because of the band or just groups of friends meeting on Wednesday night the pub was very busy, the clientele is mixed but there's a great atmosphere.

6 pumps on that were dispensing Kelham Island, Atomic Blonde; Elland Brewery, Moonbeam Rider; Green Jack, Orange Wheat; Ilkley, Mary Jane IPA; Rooster, YPA and Streathavan, Midnight walk.

My 3 beers were Moonbeam Rider, YPA and Midnight Walk...all of them extremely well kept and excellent.

Outside the front is an Italian Pizza place with a full oven and chef cooking up delicious looking pizza's. There's were going down a storm (nearly everyone in the pub had one!) and is a fantastic idea for a pub that doesn't have food for sale.

A really good pub that is now on my "radar"...get yourself here I cannot praise this pub enough.
lezford - 4 Oct 2013 14:06