Volunteers Arms, Musselburgh - pub details

Volunteers Arms

Address: 81 North High Street, Musselburgh, Edinburgh, Midlothian, EH21 6JE [map] [gmap]

Tel: 0871 951 1000 (ref 13234) - calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras

Nearest train stations Musselburgh (1 mile), Wallyford (1.9 miles), Prestonpans (3.6 miles)

Cask Marque accreditation

> Current user rating: 7.8/10 (rated by 20 users)

Links Bar, Musselburgh (0.1 miles), David Macbeth Moir, Musselburgh (0.1 miles), Club House, Musselburgh (0.1 miles), Hole in the Wall, Musselburgh (0.2 miles), Auld Brig Tavern, Musselburgh (0.2 miles) - see more nearby pubs

user reviews of Volunteers Arms, Musselburgh

Wonderful pub on the backstreets of Musselburgh that was unfortunately packed to the rafters on the day of our visit, necessitating standing in the corridor and continually having to move to get out of people’s way. Oakham Citra was on and as excellent as ever.
BoehmBawerk - 21 Jan 2018 09:51
The Volunteer Arms is CAMRA's pub of the year for Scotland and Northern Ireland. So I had really high hopes and had booked accommodation in Musselburgh to take full advantage. This is undoubtedly a good pub. But I wonder if I'd built this up in my mind too much, as I wasn't as overwhelmed as I'd expected. I'd visited the Grey Horse in Balerno earlier and whilst it would be difficult to chose between the two, I thought the Grey Horse was marginally the better. Nevertheless, this pub is certainly worth of a 7/10. The ale range is mostly pale ales, which was part of my disappointment - Oakham JHB, Bishop's Farewell & Green Devil IPA, Fyne Ales Jarl & Stewarts Crossfire. The availability of Moles Black Rat cider tempered my disappointment. Whisky also appears to be a speciality. I sat in the main bar area which has lots of wood panelling and is a perfect environment for conversation. TVs normally detract from conversation. But the live football showing on 2 TVs was actually a talking point of many conversations and complemented the bar without detracting from the convivial atmosphere. This is without doubt the best pub in Musselburgh and worth seeking out. Apparently it was CAMRA's national pub of the year in 1997.
blue_scrumpy - 5 Jan 2017 22:44
Good well patronised locals pub with a good selection of ales in good nick.
Snarling_Mallard - 17 Apr 2016 18:06
Gem - this pub is well worth a visit from hub-bub of city centre. 7 ales on mostly golden...all good quality. Highly recommended.
kernott1 - 19 Mar 2014 21:16
Enjoyable return visit to 'Staggs'. Beers on tap included Fyne Ales Avalanche and offerings from Highland and Tempest. I've been here a few times now and they seem to favour hoppier beers, which is fine by me! My pints of Avalanche were excellent. The pub was very busy for early afternoon on a Wednesday.
The pub was given a spruce up last year and looks fantastic. An essential detour from the city.
holbornboy - 29 Apr 2012 22:23